Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Good Help These Days

My dad was famous for, among other things, lamenting any half-ass tasks completed by my brother and/or me with a disappointed headshake and a rueful "It's so hard to find good help these days." He now claims that it was all in good fun. But my teen years were marked by my responses to him: Cringing (early teens), contemplating running away (mid teens), and eventually ignoring him (late teens). I'm sure there was a great deal of eye-rolling involved throughout as well.

As a full-fledged adult, especially after 10+ years in the corporate world, I've gained a better appreciation for doing things right the first time. I may be 2 or 3 decades away from actually shaking my head and saying these words out loud. But these days I often catch myself thinking "So hard to find good help these days" whenever I witness or hear of anything being done wrong, or halfway, or not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment